Friday, August 14, 2009

Something That Rubbed Me The Wrong Way


And no, it wasn't the hot wings from lunch.

I don't know how this health care business is going to play out. I think we definitely need something to keep costs lower, eliminate inefficiencies, all that stuff, but I'm not entirely convinced that a government option is necessarily the way to go.

Honestly, with there being so many dead horses piling up in America's front yards, all fatalities due to blunt force trauma from the health care talking points, I just want there to be a conclusion. Yay or nay, but let's get it over with, I'm pretty unbiased.

But there's one point I'm hearing over and over again that really rubs me the wrong way. We're the only civilized country that doesn't have universal health care. This is used to decry that those Americans must be a bunch of backward, knuckle-dragging, booger-eating morons, if those Americans don't want universal health care.

Wanting universal health care is not a bad thing. Saying we need it because others have it is a whole other ball game.

My case in point, granted, an isolated one, but it got to me. France, yes, that civilized European parlor of love and elegance, France, outlawed burkhas. A 'burkha' for those of you out of the loop is a head-to-toe garment donned by devout and fundamentalist Muslim women. While that's kind of old news, I was reminded of it when I saw that a woman on the beach in France was arrested for wearing a full-body suit and mask, creating a waterproof beach burkha.

Creativity be damned, French officials said, and they arrested her for it.

A clear violation of personal rights --wearing clothing for religious purposes -- was not only passed into law in France, but is enforced as well. I just think it's really dumb to say that "oh, they're doing it!" that we must be remiss for not doing it here. The equivalent would be your local police officer knocking the yamacha off some rabbi's head.

This isn't to say that there aren't lessons we can't learn from the French (how DO they get croissants so fluffy?) and vice versa, or that these things have anything to do with one another. I'm not going to be ordering Freedom Fries anytime soon at my local McDonald's. I just think it's a shallow, useless point to be made in an argument, offered to the lowest common denominator of angry person who happens to be siding with universal health care.

Sorry. That just got to me. Carry on.

3 comments:

  1. in the good ole USA 62% of all bankruptcy's are caused by heath care expenditures people can't pay (and that's the ones with health insurance) How many people in the rest of the industrial world that file for bankruptcies because of heath care? ZERO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Illiteracy doesn't flatter you, Anon. I just said that it's fine to be for universal health care, but you're going to need some better arguments than "But everyone ELSE has it, Mom and Dad! GAHHH!" It's just. Weak. Sauce.

    Not to mention, there are a bevy of other things in America for which the rest of civilization could be envious. Have you ever marveled at a Fried Twinkie? Me neither, but the fact that it's out there get my patriotic blood churning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If they don't get it straight the American Government will be included in that bankruptcy statistic.

    I'm not sayin...but I'm jus sayin....

    ReplyDelete